Go to Top Go to Bottom
Animal Breeding and Genetics
Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences 2002;15(3): 321-325.
https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.321    Published online March 1, 2002.
Variations in Karyotypic Characteristics of Different Breed Groups of Water Buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis)
O. L. Bondoc, M. C. G. T. Flor, S. D. N. Rebollos, A. G. Albarace
Karyotype analysis was carried out on blood samples of 30 water buffaloes belonging to different breed groups (i.e. Philippine Carabao (PC), Indian Murrah (IM), Bulgarian Murrah (BM), “F1 50% IM-50% PC”, “F1 50% BM-50% PC” and “75% IM-25% PC”), using the modified Leucocyte Culture Technique. The modal chromosome numbers of the PC, “F1 50% IM-50% PC”, “F1 50% BM-50% PC”, IM, BM and “75% IM-25% PC” were 2n=48, 49, 49, 50, 50 and 50, respectively. The water buffalo chromosomes are mostly acrocentric (79.67%) and the remainder submetacentric (20.33%). Results of the ordinary least square analysis showed significant breed effects (p<0.01) on other karyotypic characteristics (i.e. relative length, arm ratio and centromeric index). Significant correlation between karyotypic characteristics and some animal performance traits were also found. The significant correlation values imply that karyotypic characteristics can be used as important criteria to select potentially productive young water buffaloes. In the future, more production and reproduction traits from non-institutional herds should be included in the analysis to reveal meaningful correlations with various karyotypic characteristics.
Keywords: Water Buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis); Karyotype; Chromosome Number; Relative Length; Centromeric Index; Arm Ratio

Editorial Office
Asian-Australasian Association of Animal Production Societies(AAAP)
Room 708 Sammo Sporex, 23, Sillim-ro 59-gil, Gwanak-gu, Seoul 08776, Korea   
TEL : +82-2-888-6558    FAX : +82-2-888-6559   
E-mail : editor@animbiosci.org               

Copyright © 2024 by Asian-Australasian Association of Animal Production Societies.

Developed in M2PI

Close layer
prev next